Blog / Content Repurposing: The multiple use of your own content
Content Repurposing: The multiple use of your own content
Maurice – August 29, 2023 – 10 min read
Content repurposing allows you to get the most out of your content by breathing new life into it in different formats. It also saves time, energy and money, and at the same time helps to address one’s own target group even more precisely.
But few things are more difficult than reusing the right content in the right way. To help you do this, we’ve written this article for you, outlining our strategic process for content repurposing.
What is Content Repurposing?
Content repurposing describes the reuse of content. In the process of content repurposing, an existing piece of content is analyzed, then optimized for alternative formats or different audiences, and finally repurposed.
That’s why content repurposing is an easy and effective way to reach more people without having to create something from scratch every time.
Reasons why you should reuse your content
There are many reasons to reuse your own content, but the following 5 are the most crucial:
- Reusing content is an easy and effective way to reach more people without having to create something new every time.
- Content repurposing allows you to get the most out of your content and avoid writer’s block.
- By repurposing content , you save time, energy, and money while still reaching your audience.
- With content repurposing, you can engage different audiences in different formats, such as infographics, videos, podcasts, and presentations.
- With content repurposing, you can quickly create interesting content for your readers that will grab their attention and keep them engaged.
However, not all repurposing is the same. Therefore, if you want to reuse your content, you should do it right. Therefore, avoid these mistakes.
The most common mistakes when repurposing content
Most people believe that they could simply reuse content without changing anything about it. However, your target audience will resent this if it happens too often and is therefore a no-go.
Besides this mistake, there are six other mistakes you should avoid when repurposing your content:
- Lack of understanding of the original content: Repurposing content is only effective if you understand what the original content was about.
- No adaptation to different formats: Content should be adapted to different formats when reused to reach new audiences.
- Failure to take SEO measures: Content should always be optimized for search engines in the course of a repurposing project.
- Relying too much on automated tools: Automated tools can speed up the content reuse process, but they are no substitute for the creative work needed to create compelling content.
- Ignoring the needs of your audience: it’s important to think about why people want to read your repurposed content.
- No distribution tactics for repurposed content: repurposing content is only effective if you also promote it through social media and other channels.
But how can content now be reused?
13 ways to reuse your content the right way
There are numerous ways to reuse content that has already been published. For starters, we have summarized 13 ways and explain below how to proceed if you want to convert the respective content:
- Convert blog posts into infographics or videos
- Transcribe podcast episodes into blog posts
- Reuse old content with updated information and research
- Create an ebook from several related blog posts
- Turn a webinar into a series of slides, podcasts, or blog posts
- Publish content on various social media platforms
- Create live video broadcasts using your existing audio recordings or written content
- Break longer content (e.g. ebooks) into smaller pieces
- Create a Q&A blog post with the most frequently asked customer questions
- Summarize longer articles or blog posts into shorter versions
- Turn an existing video into a series of GIFs
- Turn data into case studies for your customers
- Turn blog posts into video content or podcasts
Below, we briefly explain these 13 ways. So if you’re only interested in one particular conversion, knock yourself out and jump straight to the right place.
1 – How to properly convert blog posts into infographics or videos
To turn your blog posts into infographics or videos, you can take several steps:
- Identify the main points and key information in your blog post. This way you can decide what to include in your infographic or video and how to present it.
- Choose a design style that fits your brand and appeals to your target audience. You may want to hire a professional designer to create your infographic or video.
- Create an outline or script for your infographic or video. This will help you organize your information and ensure that it is presented in a logical and coherent manner.
- Use appropriate visuals and graphics to illustrate your points and make your content more engaging. This can be tables, diagrams, images or other media.
- Consider making your infographic or video interactive. This will make your content more interesting and interactive for your audience.
- Be sure to include a call to action at the end of your infographic or video that encourages your audience to share your content or visit your website for more information.
- Optimize your infographic or video for search engines by including relevant keywords and a descriptive title.
2 – How to properly transcribe podcast episodes into blog posts.
Here are some steps you can follow to transcribe your podcast episodes into blog posts:
- Choose a transcription service or software. There are many options, including human transcription services and automatic transcription software. Consider factors such as accuracy, speed, and cost when making your decision.
- Set up your transcription process. This may mean uploading your audio file to a transcription service or setting up your transcription software.
- Review and edit the transcription. Transcription software is not always 100% accurate, so it is important to carefully review and edit the transcription to ensure it is accurate and easy to read.
- Divide the transcript into sections and add headings. This way you can create a clear and structured blog post that is easy to read and navigate.
- Add additional information and context to the transcription. You may want to include quotes from the podcast episode, additional background information, or links to relevant resources.
- Add images or other media to your blog post to make it more visually appealing and interesting.
- Proofread your blog post and revise it for grammar and style.
3 – How to reuse old content with updated information and research
Here are some steps you can follow to repurpose old content with updated information and research:
- Identify the old content you want to update. This could be an old blog post, article or video that you want to refresh with new information.
- Research the topic to find new and updated information. This may mean reading new research, articles, or other sources of information on the topic.
- Update the content with the new information you’ve gathered. You may want to add new sections or paragraphs to incorporate the new information.
- Check the content for accuracy and credibility. Make sure the information you add is accurate and based on reliable sources.
- Check the content for style and tone. Make sure the tone of your content is consistent with your brand and your target audience.
- Update any old links or references. This way, you’ll make sure your readers have access to the latest information.
- Consider incorporating new images or media into your content to make it more engaging.
4 – How to create an ebook from several related blog posts or articles
Here are some steps you can follow to create an eBook from several related blog posts or articles:
- Select the blog posts or articles you want to include in your ebook. They should relate to a specific topic and add value for your readers.
- Organize the content in a logical structure. This may mean grouping similar content, creating sections or chapters, and adding headings and subheadings to guide the reader through the content.
- Review and edit content for consistency and clarity. Make sure the content is fluid and easy to read and understand.
- Choose a design and layout for your ebook. You may want to hire a professional designer to help you with this step.
- Add additional content or resources that you think will be helpful to your readers. This may include images, tables, charts, or links to external sources.
- Choose a format for your ebook. Ebooks can be published as PDFs, ePubs or other electronic formats.
- Proofread your ebook and revise it for grammar and spelling mistakes.
5 – How to turn a webinar into a series of downloadable slides, podcasts or blog posts.
Here are some steps you can follow to turn a webinar into a series of downloadable slides, podcasts, or blog posts:
- Record your webinar. This way you can record the audio and video of your presentation, as well as all the slides and visual aids you used.
- Create a transcript of your webinar. This way you can create a written version of your presentation that you can repurpose as blogposts or podcasts.
- Edit and format your transcript. This may mean that you divide the content into sections or add headings and subheadings to help the reader find their way around.
- Create slides from your webinar. You can use the slides from your presentation or create new slides to illustrate the key points of your webinar.
- Create podcasts from your webinar. You can use the audio from your webinar to create podcasts that your audience can download and listen to.
- Create blog posts from your webinar. You can use the transcript of your webinar and any additional information or resources you want to add to create blog posts that summarize and expand on the content of your webinar.
6 – How to publish your content on different social media platforms
Here are some steps you can follow to publish your content on various social media platforms:
- Select the content you want to publish. This could be an old blog post, a video, or other content you want to share with a new audience.
- Select the social media platforms where you want to republish your content. You should choose platforms that are popular with your target audience or that have features that work well for the content you want to share.
- Review and update content as necessary. You may want to modify the content to make it more relevant or appealing to the platform you’re sharing it on.
- Write a meaningful caption or headline for your post. This way, you’ll grab your audience’s attention and encourage them to click on your post.
- Use hashtags and tags to increase the visibility of your post. This way your post can reach a larger audience and is easier for others to find.
- Choose a visually appealing image or video to accompany your post. This will make your post more interesting and stand out in your audience’s feed.
7 – How to create live video broadcasts with your existing audio recordings or written content
Here are some steps you can follow to create live video broadcasts with your existing audio recordings or written content:
- Select the audio or written content you want to use for your live video broadcasts. This could be a podcast episode, a webinar recording, or a blog post that you want to present in an interactive and engaging way.
- Set up a live video platform. There are many options, such as YouTube Live, Facebook Live, and Zoom. Choose a platform that is easy to use and has the features you need for your live video broadcasts.
- Schedule your live video broadcast. Think about what you want to cover in your show, how you want to present the content, and how you want to interact with your audience. You may want to create an outline or script to guide you through your show.
- Test your equipment and setup. Make sure your microphone, camera, and any other devices you use are working properly and that your internet connection is stable.
- Switch live! Start your live video broadcast and present your content in an engaging and interactive way. You may want to use slides, visual aids, or other media to illustrate your points.
- Interact with your audience. Encourage your audience to ask questions or leave comments during your live video broadcast, and be sure to respond to their questions and comments in real time.
8 – How to break longer content (e.g. ebooks) into smaller parts
Here are some steps you can follow to break up longer content (like ebooks) into smaller sections:
- Identify the main sections or themes of your content. You may want to create a table of contents or outline to identify the main points of your content.
- Break your content into smaller sections or chapters. This may mean that you divide each chapter into several, smaller sections or create a series of shorter chapters.
- Consider creating summaries or highlights for each section or chapter. This way, your readers can quickly understand the main points of each section and know what to expect.
- Use headings and subheadings to guide your readers through the content. This can make it easier for your readers to understand and navigate through the structure of your content.
- Use graphs, charts, or images to illustrate your points and make your content more interesting.
- Consider creating shorter versions of your content, such as blog posts or articles that address specific points or topics of your longer content.
9 – How to create a Q&A blog post from the most common customer questions you receive
Here are some steps you can follow to create a Q&A blog post from the most common customer questions you receive:
- Create a list of the most common customer questions you receive. These may come from customer support emails, social media inquiries, or other channels.
- Organize the questions into categories or themes. This way you can structure your Q&A post logically and make it easier for your readers to find the information they are looking for.
- Write clear and concise answers to each question. Be sure to provide enough information to fully answer each question, but keep your answers short and sweet.
- Consider including additional resources or links that will help your readers learn more about the topic. This can be articles, videos or other sources that provide more in-depth information.
- Use headings and subheadings to guide your readers through the content. This makes it easier for your readers to find the information they are looking for and understand the structure of your post.
- Proofread your post and check it for grammar and style. Make sure your post is easy to read and understand.
10 – How to summarize longer articles or blogposts into shorter versions and share them on social media or other platforms.
Here are some steps you can follow to summarize longer articles or blogposts into shorter versions and share them on social media or other platforms:
- Read the article or blog post carefully and identify the key points or themes.
- Write a concise summary of the article or post. This should contain the most important points and information, but be shorter and more concise than the original content.
- Use headings, bullet points, or other formatting to organize your summary and make it easy to read.
- Consider including quotes or excerpts from the original content to illustrate your points.
- Check your summary for accuracy and make sure it accurately reflects the content of the original article or post.
- Choose a visually appealing image or video to accompany your summary. This will make your summary more appealing and stand out more on social media or other platforms.
- Share your summary on social media or other platforms and use a catchy headline or subtitle to grab your audience’s attention.
11 – How to turn an existing video into a series of GIFs that can be posted on different channels
Here are some steps you can follow to turn an existing video into a series of GIFs that can be posted on various channels:
- Select the video you want to turn into a GIF. This can be a video that you created yourself or a video that you have permission to use.
- Use a GIF maker or GIF editing program to create your GIFs. There are many options, including online tools, software programs and mobile apps.
- Select a part of the video you want to turn into a GIF. You may want to create multiple GIFs from different parts of the video, or a single GIF from a longer section of the video.
- Edit your GIF to adjust the length, resolution and other settings. You may want to experiment with different settings to find the combination that works best for your GIFs.
- Add text or other graphics to your GIFs as needed. This can draw attention to your GIFs, in addition to providing broader context or more information.
- Save your GIFs and share them on different channels. You can share your GIFs on social media, in emails or newsletters, on your website, or on your blog.
12 – How to turn your data into case studies for your customers
Here are some steps you can follow to turn your data into case studies for your customers:
- Select the data you want to use for your case study. This can be data from a specific project, product or service you want to showcase.
- Organize your data in a logical structure. You may want to create sections or chapters that focus on different aspects of your data or tell a specific story.
- Write a clear and concise introduction to your case study. In it, you should provide an overview of your data and explain why it is important or relevant to your customers.
- Use charts, graphs, and other visual representations to illustrate your data. This makes your case study more interesting and helps your readers understand the information better.
- Highlight key findings or results from your data. These can be trends, patterns, or other noteworthy observations that you think will be of interest to your customers.
- Include quotes or testimonials from customers or other stakeholders to add credibility and authenticity to your case study.
- Proofread your case study and revise it for grammar and style. Make sure your case study is easy to read and understand.
13 – How to turn blog posts into video content or podcasts
Here are some steps you can follow to turn blog posts into video content or podcasts:
- Select the blog post(s) you want to convert to video content or podcasts. They should relate to a specific topic and add value to your audience.
- Review and edit the content of your blog post. You may need to adjust the content to make it more suitable for the video or audio format.
- Choose a format for your video content or podcast. There are many options, including screencasts, vlogs, interviews and more.
- Set up your recording equipment and software. This includes a microphone, camera, and other devices that let you record audio and video.
- Record your video content or podcast. Make sure you speak clearly and speak to your audience in a natural and authentic way.
- Edit your video or podcast and put the finishing touches on it. This may mean adding music, graphics, or other elements to improve the quality and appeal of your content.
- Publish your video or podcast on a platform or channel that is appropriate for your audience. You can use YouTube, Vimeo or a podcast hosting service like Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
But how do you figure out what content to reuse in the first place?
How to find out which content you should reuse in 7 steps
Content reuse gets the most out of your content. But how do you decide which post should be reused?
These 7 steps should help you with this question:
- Step 1: Take an inventory – To do this, make a list of all your existing content and figure out what content could use a refresh. The rule of thumb here is that anything older than 6 months should be checked carefully.
- Step 2: Assess the quality and relevance of your content – Consider whether the content is accurate, well-written, and still relevant to your target audience.
- Step 3: Identify gaps or areas where you could create more content – Look for opportunities to create new content, fill in the gaps in your existing content, or meet the needs of your target audience.
- Step 4: Analyze the performance of different content pieces – Measure the KPIs (shares, likes, comments) for each piece of content to find out what resonates well with your audience.
- Step 5: Identify topics that will always go – Review your content and identify topics that have timeless appeal or will remain relevant in the future.
- Step 6: Look at the competition – Look at what your competitors are doing with their content. How do they present similar content? What are the advantages of their formats?
- Step 7: Use tools and resources to help you identify potential opportunities to repurpose your content – There are many tools and resources that can help you identify ideas for repurposing your content, such as keyword research tools, content calendars, and social media analytics tools.
Still not sure if one of your content pieces should be reused? Maybe our process for strategic reuse can help you.
Our process for strategic content reuse
Over the years, we have developed our own process that shows us within a very short time whether a content piece is worth reusing.
To do this, we assign a rating based on a few questions and thus quickly recognize whether we should give a topic more attention or less.
For the following questions, we award points if these questions are answered in the affirmative and sum them up at the end:
|Could the information in this content piece be more accurate or clear?
|Is the content older than 3 years?
|Are there any new trends or insights in this area?
|Was the reach of this post high?
|Is the contribution entertaining?
|Is the article instructive?
|Can this post increase your own brand awareness in a different format?
|Was the level of engagement in this topic area high?
|Can a larger audience be reached with the article in a different format?
|Is little time and effort required to get the content into a new format?
|Is the content in this content piece still relevant to the target audience?
|Can the content be better understood in a different format?
We can award a maximum of 17 points and your content should be reused according to the following scores:
- 0 – 7 points:
You should rather focus on reusing another content piece.
- 7 – 12 points:
This content piece can and should be reused, but it is not the highest priority.
- 12 – 17 points:
You should prioritize this content piece for reuse because it has not yet reached its full potential.
In summary, content repurposing is a great way to save time and money while engaging your audience and getting the most out of your content.
Not all reuse is the same
Basically, reusing content is an excellent thing. Your target audience gets to know your content better and you save money.
But this is only true if you reuse the right content in the right way, and that’s what this article is here to help you with.
However, to be able to reuse your content, you first need excellent content and to achieve this, you need to formulate a content strategy for your business. In our article content strategyyou can find out how to achieve this.